The major district town of Zschopau, with its Krumhermersdorf, Ganshäuser and Wilischthal districts, is located in the scenically beautiful Zschopau valley on the river of the same name. First mentioned officially in 1286, Zschopau was granted mining rights for the first time in 1493.
For recreational activities, there is a path to the open-air pool with a bowling alley on Krumhermersdorf Street. Right nearby there is also a beautifully constructed sports stadium with football, tennis and training fields as well as local sports facilities and playgrounds. For those interested in playing golf, there is a 9-hole golf course with a large practice area.
For winter sports as well, there are many options. For example, the winter sports centre “Am Zschopenberg,” offers a ski-jump facility and a ski slope with two tow lifts. Enthusiastic cross-country skiers come to the area around Zschopau to enjoy the trails, for example, in Bornwald.
Places worth seeing
the Wildeck Castle with its castle keep, “Dicker Heinrich,” which is used as a viewing tower
the motorcycle exhibit, “Motorcycle Dreams"
rooms restored in Renaissance style
open workshops, baroque gardens with castle tours
the historic old city with town houses, the new and old markets
the old Town Hall with its gate
the city coat of arms and glockenspiel
the new Town Hall with the Renaissance gate
Saint Martin’s Church with the third largest baroque organ in Saxony
a stone arched bridge built in 1813 with a memorial stone, “Zshap mei Geeß.”
Traditional festivals in Zschopau
the regularity race for old-time automobiles on the last Sunday in June
the “Schloss- und Schützenfest,” (castle and shooting festival) on the last weekend in August
the “Rund um Zschopau” endurance run at the end of October
the Christmas Market held during the second weekend of Advent
The mining city of Zschopau welcomes you!